Tuesday, August 15, 2006

It's Time To Stop This Madness

I don't like what's happening to this place. We are being attacked by our own citizens in our own country. And, what's more galling than anything is that it's our own fault.
No one likes to be told how to live their lives, and I can't help but feel that if we in the west were to keep our noses out of other peoples business, then we could continue to live our lives in peace, and allow people to fight their own battles.
I know it's probably a naiive sentiment, but I just don't understand what gives us the right to think that we can be world policemen, and not grow malcontent and distrust towards us, rather than diminish it.
I feel somewhat ashamed by the blatant hypocrisy and double standards displayed by the west when dealing with the Middle East. We feel compelled to remove some belligerant dictators, whilst supporting others, we berate Arab states for sending arms to the Lebanon, whilst giving bunker busting bombs to Israel and I'm sure it makes even less sense to the Middle Eastern population than it does to us.
It's clear that the war on terror has done more to 'embolden' terrorists and swell their ranks than any other course of action the West could have taken. It's time to admit that we were wrong. It's time to slink back to the shadows and let these poor people (who have done nothing to bring this upon themselves) get on with rebuilding their lives. It's time to put conservatives and hawks who still in their delusion think this war has been a success in their place and out of office.
It's time to stop this madness....

1 Comments:

Blogger eightk said...

WORD, Stouff, word. I am so so tired of all of this nonsense. I am tired of America playing the big boss on the playground when really, we have no clue what we're doing. It's like a clusterfuck in motion. We've made it so bad and now we're stuck and I feel worse off than we were before.

I can't wait for 2008...

7:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home