Monday, June 12, 2006

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

Well, I was kicking myself when I entered the big yin's world cup sweep at work a week ago.(why the big yin set up a world cup sweep, I'll never know, as she hates football something rotten??) You paid your 2 quid and then picked out a scrunched up piece of paper from a plastic cup with the name of your team written on it. If that team wins the World Cup, then you win the overall pot of money collected. Anyway, the name of the team on the piece of paper made me wince. Saudi frikkin Arabia. The same Saudi Arabia that started their last World Cup campaign with an encouraging 8-0 defeat at the hands of Germany. Not deterred and keeping in mind that there were still a few good sides yet to be claimed, I chucked another £2 in and held my breath. Come on....be Germany, or Brazil, I'd even be happy with Croatia??!

Australia.

The nation who haven't qualified since 1974, and who have NEVER even scored a goal in the World Cup finals. Jeez, I'd rather have been mugged my £4 than get Australia and Saudi Arabia.

But in todays first game with Australia and Japan, I decided that the Aussies were gonna be my team of the tournament. I'm gonna get behind them 100%. They're newbies at this level and in my book that makes them infinately supportable. (And the English hate them, which is another reason to heartily support them, if another was needed.) Well, after 80 minutes of a tight game, the Japanese were 1-0 up, and their stuffy defence looked like it was going to hold out, until Everton's Australian midfielder Tim Cahill was introduced, and he got 2 smashing goals in the last ten minutes, and the turnaround was complete when John Aloisi sneaked through to finish empahatically. A first victory 3-1. Maybe my money was not wasted after all, and I've found a new allegiance!

I don't think I realised until this kicked off how much I wanted Scotland to be a part of it all. We never do well when we get there, and we've never been past the first round, fate continues to conspire against us, and we always go out by one goal on goal difference, or we need to draw and we lose, or we beat Holland convincingly, then lose to Peru, and draw with Iran, but amid all the many disappointments, we're still there. We get to join in the party, even if we know deep down that we're just there to make up the numbers. It's never more difficult than looking in the window at all the fun, knowing the door is bolted tight. I told myself that I'd be able to enjoy the tournament more not being preoccupied with how we were doing, but it's just not the case. It's been too long since we've been there and I really miss the buzz it brings to everyone around. We can only hope for next time....