Sunday, June 11, 2006

La Coupe Du Monde Est Arivee!

Well, what a couple of days for world football. The big one is here! The first game was a corker. Germany have been in freefall over the last few years, so their meeting with Costa Rica was not going to be the cakewalk it might have been for German teams of the past. This game was a cracker though. 4-2 to Germany, with the hosts scoring 2 goals that will undoubtedly go down as contenders for the goal of the tournament. I went to watch it over at my sisters and her boyfriends. He was bouncing up and down like a kid with the excitement, but a few beers calmed him down. All in all, yesterday was a great day. Saw 2 games. Even the turgid Poland v Ecuador clash wasn't enough to dampen our spirits, Marky was miffed as Polish goalkeeper Artur Boruc and striker Macej Zurawski who play for his beloved Celtic had a pretty awful game, (there was no way the commentator was even going to consider giving him his adopted Scottish moniker 'Magic' Zurawski. He was more 'Mince' Zurawski.) Ecuador coasted to a comfortable 2-0 win. The night was rounded off with us having a turn at beating the crap out of each other at Rocky on the Gamecube. It was class, and there were a few moments when I laughed so hard and long that I forgot why I was laughing, but couldn't stop. Poor Fraser took the beating of his life. Particularly when he chose to go Apollo Creed, so I logically selected Ivan Drago, saying things like "I'm sooo gonna kill you" while not knowing how the hell to play the thing. I realised I'd made a wise choice when after 3 punches I had knocked him out cold. There was much hilarity at his hissy fit and swearing afterwards.

P.S. I have not allowed our darling neighbours jammy victory against Paraguay in today's lunchtime fixture to tarnish my day at all. I'm resigned to the fact that they're gonna get through the first round, but pretty confident that they'll fold under the pressure of better opposition in the latter stages. I hope......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home